Don’t expect Malacca is like Penang
Before I share what are best things to eat in Malacca with you, I have to say that you will be disappointed if you expect Malacca is like Penang. Unlike Penang or Kuala Lumpur, Malacca has neither food stands nor nighthawkers. Yes, I know… it’s very disappointing.
A culinary adventure at Jonker Walk?
If you visit Jonker walk at early in the morning, or in the evening after 7 pm, you have no problem having a little food adventure but it’s hard to find restaurants to eat between 2 pm and 7pm. All the Chinese restaurants opened really early in the morning. After lunch time (around 2pm), they close the restaurants and reopen around 6 or 7 pm depending on restaurants.
What are top 3 best things to eat in Malacca?
Here are my Top 3 best things to eat in Malacca! They are all my favorites! I hope you like these too! 🙂
1.Nyonya Laksa (Malacca Laksa)
Nyonya Laksa is totally different from Penang Laksa. Nyonya Laksa is a Malaysian curry noodle dish with coconut milk in it. It tastes a bit sweet and salty. Unlike my friend who loves Penang Laksa, I loved Nyonya Laksa (Malacca Laka) more than Penang Laksa. It’s not spicy at all, so Nyonya Laksa is a good noodle dish for people who are not used to eat spicy food!
2. Dim Sum at Low Yong Moh restaurant
I learned about Low Yong Moh restaurant from an old Japanese guy who visits Malacca at least once a year. Low Yong Moh restaurant is his favorite restaurant in Malacca for breakfast. Eating freshly made warm Dim sum for breakfast was really nice.
How to order at Low Yong Moh restaurant
Don’t be panic! A waitress or waiter walks around tables with Dim sum, all you can do is pointing at Dim sum that looks good! And then, just try them! 😉 They are so good that you can’t help yourself ordering again and again!
- Location: Click here to see Low Yong Moh restaurant on the map.
3.Banana Leaf Rice (Vegetarian dish)
I introduced Banana Leaf Rice in my Penang Indian food post. It’s really easy and quick dish for Malaysians. If you haven’t tried Banana Leaf Rice while you are traveling in Malaysia, why don’t you try it here in Malacca?! Since I’m a big fan of vegetables, curry, and big meals, I have every reason to like Banana Leaf Rice.
Delicious but ugly
It looks gross… right? 🙁 I feel sorry for Banana Leaf Rice. It’s really delicious, but it doesn’t look very pretty . Guys, don’t judge Banana by its appearance, please. Give Banana Leaf a chance to be in your stomach at least once! You will like it! 😉 IYou can choose different types of curry. If you can’t handle spiciness, don’t forget to tell a server “No spicy!” 😉
- Price: RM 3.50
- Location: Click here to check out where I ate in Little India Malacca (RESTORAN SARAVANNA) on the map.
Thank you for visiting my website and reading best things to eat in Malacca. 🙂 If you have any questions about planning or traveling to Southeast Asia, feel free to send me a message through my facebook page! 🙂
- Best things to do in Malacca for a short trip
- Best things to do in Malaysia’s hidden gem, Ipoh
- Ipoh how-to guide
- Ipoh Street Art
- Top 10 things to do in Penang #1
- Top 10 things to do in Penang #2
- Top 5 non-typical things to do in Penang
- Penang Street Art
- Honest Penang Chinese food guide
- Honest Penang Indian food guide
- Top 3 things to do in Ao Nang, Krabi, Thailand
- 6 fun things to do in Chiang Mai, Thailand
- Top 5 things to do in Ayutthaya, Thailand
- Koh Tao nightlife guide #1
- Cooking class in Chiang Mai
- Traveling Depression
- 3 things that can happen to you in Koh Tao
- Why I avoid Asian Travelers
- Why I started traveling
- The weirdest guys I’ve met on the road in 7 months
- Travel thoughts and emotional detox in Ayutthaya
- Days of nightmare in Bangkok
- Bangkok Hostel